Monday, September 04, 2006

Anticipation had never been higher than when Jeff Tedford re-signed with Cal.
Anticipation is a funny little word. It hangs with friends called: Expectation, Expectancy, Hope, and a guy named Eagerness. All of Anticipation’s friends were on hand for the sellout crowd at Neyland Stadium when then (and current until tomorrow) number nine Cal came to town to play number (not soon to be) 23 Tennessee.

Anticipation played the cool Joe when he showed up, but things soon got out of hand.


Anticipation’s twin brother was here in California with me during the game. He brought many cool people with him. Eagerness just would not shut up. Finally when the game kicked off they all started to calm down.

They were a sad bunch.

Midway through the fist quarter, they all started to get restless. Expectancy seemed the most unsettled of the bunch. In fact, at one point Anticipation and Eagerness had to calm her down. She just could not wait for Cal to tear apart this rebuilt Tennessee defense.

Well to make a long story significantly shorter, I must say, spending the afternoon watching the game with this bunch was no fun at all. At the end of the day, they had all pretty much passed out from too much booze and other substances.

They even made me a little sick.

After the game was over and all was silent, I looked at the bunch; they really were a sorry sight. They had been my best friends since early last year and now it seemed like they were all just a bunch of jerks. I became angry with them, what were they all doing passed out at a time like this? I finally decided it was time for them to leave.


I allowed Hope to stay. I even let her sleep in my bed. I just cannot imagine life without her. She somehow managed to keep a positive attitude after the game. I consoled her as best I could.

Well as it was late and they were all wasted, it was near impossible to rouse them. One of the group finally woke up, Expectation. “I’m so sorry Seth. I never expected things to go this way,” he said.

“Ah forget about it, it could have been worse right? I mean the BCS computers won't know how bad it really was, right?” I chirped in.

“How the hell should I know, I'm wasted dude,” he said, “ask somebody who gives a fuck.”

Expectation was done.


And with that he fell back asleep. When I woke in the morning they were all gone. Everyone that is, except Hope.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

dear seth,

your blog will be destroyed as well... you've started a fight you cannot finish. glory to action-squad!

Cal Football Radical said...

glory to the cal bears. we will never forget! not only will we not forget what ur team did. we will never forget what u bloggers did!

seth

Cal Football Radical said...

Good one, I love how you have stolen the word "pathetic" from me and now use it everywhere you can to bad mouth me.

Cool Dude! Your original!

Bitch!